The Gilas fight

It was an emotional win.

When the Gilas Pilipinas ended the curse of Korea, Filipino basketball fans shed tears, if not all literally, I'm sure inside they are crying, glowing with pride as finally after decades, the World Cup stage is open. I'm saying this because I, too, shed tears shamelessly. And why not? I know the story. I know we are underdogs. I know a lot are skeptical. And the Gilas made it through. We made it.

Photo from FIBA.com

Next on target is winning the FIBA Asia championship. Blocking the way were the mighty Iranians led by former Memphis Grizzlies Hamed Haddadi, but Gilas head coach Chot Reyes said it plain and clear the night before the fight: "They will have to carry us out of that court tomorrow."

True enough, the Pinoys made sure it will not be an easy feat for Iran. Although Haddadi was able to build his kingdom inside the paint, the Gilas endured every bad call, every blistering box out of the tournament's favorite. Heart compensated for the lack of height. 

Photo from Nuki Sabio

The Iranians were successful in snatching the gold but somehow, compared to the silver that hanged in our players' chest, in my eyes they glimmered way brighter. This is not to diminish Iran's win because they played really well and I admire that. But for a nation of underdogs, that ticket to Spain definitely means a lot. 

Photo from random Facebook user

I know there are others out there who scoff at the idea of our Gilas playing against the likes of the Gasol Brothers and Kobe Bryant's flock, but for real Pinoy basketball fans who watched all those years of struggle and pain, the chance itself to fight is already a win.

Laban Pilipinas! Puso!

0 comments :: The Gilas fight

Post a Comment